Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Sphinx moth caterpillar.



This morning I was going through some photos and came across this guy. My wife and I were attending a family reunion in Central Wisconsin when it was discovered. At the time no one could recall having ever seen one before, so it quickly became the hit of the day. Since then I've learned it is the caterpillar of a Sphinx moth. They can be found around grape vines and other types of vines such as Ivy etc.

As you can see this is not a small caterpillar. It was at least a couple of inches long. To me the striking thing is the face. It reminds me of a bulldog with a look of I'm friendly, but, don't mess with me or I will put you down.

I've not seen one since that day, but, next time I am around grape vines or Ivy plants, you can bet I will be on the look out.

No comments:

Post a Comment